The Quire Stalls were a gift from Abbot Elyot (about 1520). Some of the framework of the stalls dates from the Nineteenth century, although most of the delicate carving is ancient.
The greatest interest in the Quire are the Misericords. These are located on the underside of the seats in the quire. They were originally used by the Monks. During their long services they were required to stand all the way through. The Misericords were used as supports during these services and are so called from the Latin for 'Mercy'.
The arches of the Quire sweep from floor to vault and, at just over fifty feet high, are the tallest in England.
<< back to the Tour