It is called the "Elder" Lady Chapel because it was in existence 50 years before a new one was built at the east end of the Choir in 1298.
There is a plaque on the side of the monument on the far right commemorating the founder of the Abbey, Robert Fitzhardinge. He was Provost (Governor) of Bristol. In 1140 he brought six Augustinian Monks to this site and the first Abbey Church was probably consecrated in 1165. He was an ancestor of the Earls of Berkeley, the descendants of whom still live at Berkeley Castle, North of Bristol.
The Chapel is regularly used for quiet services.